Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nostalgia



As far back as I can remember my dad carved a pumpkin for the kids in my family every Halloween. My cousins and I would sit around the table at my grandmothers' house and watch in awe as he pulled out a HUGE knife and created lively faces on the different pumpkins we each had gotten from our various school trips to the pumpkin patch.

Although my parents were not together and even as I got older my dad would call me to see if I wanted to come over and watch him carve a pumpkin. He loves to do anything that will make a childs' face light up. Once I had kids of my own, my dad would invite us over so that the kids could watch. For a time my dad lived with me and during that time, he carved pumpkins for my children and they loved it.

In my last blog entry I stated how much I loved being the grown up in the house. Today was my true test. I actually carved my first pumpkin. As you can see she turned out pretty nice. The children in Joy School decided that the pumpkin was a girl before I stuck her with the knife. The entire time I carved I could hear my dads' voice guiding me on what not to do. All of his pumpkin carving wisdom came rushing back me and I felt like a little girl in my grandmothers' kitchen again. It is amazing how something so simple can bring so much joy to a child and today to an adult.

2 comments:

Denise said...

What a sweet post. I think I will take the time and have my dad carve with the kids while he is out here. I can't believe that you are doing Joy School as well as day care and Barbara's. You are a busy woman. Thanks for the phone call tonight :) I can't wait to hear more about what is going on in the El-Amin world.

Cindy said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I like reading other blogs more than writing one myself. I find myself being guided by my parents words quite often. Now the scary part. My children are being quided by mine.